Saturday, January 31, 2009

GiST Day 10: Up-Island Edition

1. The trip here was our shortest yet. I love traveling in the early afternoon and skipping all the rush-hour beginning-of-weekend traffic. And then we arrived to discover that we'd been put in one of the nice hotel rooms! We have a top floor room overlooking the beach! We have a balcony! Huzzah!

2. A little one-and-a-half-year-old boy befriended me at the conference registration table today. He was very sweet, and it turned out that his dad studies my field, which is how I met all the German Historians from Big University That Karl Attends. The wee boy and I kept giving each other high fives and then we discovered a bell, and I'm pretty sure that the front desk clerks just loved us once we started ringing a bell.

3. I gave myself permission to come back to my room after the evening plenary lecture. I'll be sociable tomorrow, but I'm really sleepy and it's really nice curling up and watching TLC before I sleep. Baby steps, people!

4. There was a tiny earthquake at 5:30 this morning! Chris slept through it, but it woke me up. I thought the shaking was Chris getting out of bed, and so I thought it was morning, and so it was exciting to discover that I could go back to sleep. (Down side: I didn't really fall back to sleep. Which is why I'm going to bed early.)

5. Guess what wee boy is one year old today? I talked to both Karl and Andrew on the phone this morning, which was fun.

2 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

My friend Ed slept through the BIG earthquake in Turkey, in 1999. When he got up to go for his early morning run, he couldn't figure out why the building was empty and all Ankara was out in the streets.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Wow! I'm pretty sure that Chris would sleep through a major earthquake as well.