1. Much as I get stressed out that I'm going to forget something, and then over-pack to over-compensate for that fear, I love packing a suitcase. I like exercising control over tiny spaces, where things can be perfect. I get to roll and fold everything up and make it all fit into the suitcase. For this short time, and in this small space, everything is orderly. (Lynniec knows what I mean.)
2. I got paid today. And then Chris gets paid in one hour, and then I get my fellowship cheque on Monday, and then on Friday my TA money arrives. This is bliss. I'm finally going to go and get that haircut I've been needing.
3. We went grocery shopping immediately after I deposited my cheque, and I got to go and get whatever I wanted. We mostly kept to the shopping list, but we also got ice cream and a bag of chips. And Chris even let me come along to the grocery store (when money's tight, I'm not allowed to come grocery shopper, because he's good at budgeting, while I'm an impulse shopper and a wheedler.)
4. I just talked on the phone with my beautiful friend Kara tonight and found out she's pregnant! (And that I'm allowed to tell people.) This will be the first Teen Girl Squad baby and I'm so excited for her and Greg. (And hi, Kara! She said she's been reading the blog.)
5. By this time tomorrow, I'll be in a resort by the ocean, surrounded by crazy historians, at my favourite conference. These sorts of weekends remind me of why I love my field. (Even if the illustrious C won't be there, for my first time since I started going to the conference. And she's making me socialise with strangers and not just hide in my room!)