Saturday, January 27, 2007

God takes care of me

I should have been asleep an hour ago, but I've been playing around with these Blogger labels and reading through old posts (you know, to figure out how to categorise them). And then I came across this post from the summer. It was a list of all the things that I felt like I needed, and yet didn't have the money to buy, making the point that I had to work on my discontentment issues.

The list looked like this:

1. I'd buy myself some really good walking shoes.
2. I'd replace that laptop of mine, which is getting cracks in the monitor.
3. I'd buy a good electric piano, with full keyboard and weighted, touch-sensitive keys.
4. I'd get a couch exactly the same as the one we're borrowing right now, and never have to return to futon-as-couch living.
5. I'd buy a whole bunch of new clothing.
6. At Christmas, I'd fly to Texas for my friend's wedding.

Well. Let's re-visit that list, shall we?

1. Very shortly after that, I went to Saskatchewan for that conference. While I was there, my Mom took me shopping for an early birthday present: walking shoes. Really nice hikers. She looked at that list and thought, "Well, at least I can take care of the first one."
2. Well, I've adapted. I don't travel with the laptop anymore, and I've mended the major cracks. We can wait until we can afford a new one. (An external hard drive is higher up on the list, because it's a small fraction of the price of a new laptop, and then I don't have to worry about what happens if the laptop dies.)
3. That summer, a family we know gave us a keyboard. I already had it at that point, but the difference was that I started playing it after that. And then I got up the courage to start playing the piano in church. And now I get to play the piano all the time, and our church is no longer lacking an accompanist. (Actually, someone offered us a nice electric organ, and we realised that we don't have space here for anything more than that keyboard we have.)
4. We still have that couch, and we're all happy with this trade situation for right now. As we're currently storing this wonderful leather couch for someone, I couldn't buy a couch even if I could afford it.
5. I have plenty of clothes now. It helps that I got those shoes, a good sweater for Christmas, and I bought a nice pair of dress pants.
6. That wedding ended up happening in Regina, and I went to it!

A few months later, and none of those are issues anymore. Wow.

No comments: