Sunday, January 28, 2007

With my freaky annotation powers

I don't understand how my brain works. I've been working on an annotated bibliography since the beginning of December. It was my major project for last semester's directed reading course, but it took way longer than we expected, especially because my supervisor expected so much of it (in this one bibliography I had to come up with one of my comps lists, and also figure out a novel way of "framing" European cultural history). I froze. I spent December stuck.

And then, I just started working. I started looking through bibliographies and collecting sources. Last Saturday, Chris sat with me at the library while I waded through a heap of books, weighing which ones deserved to be on my list. The next day I figured out how to organise them. But then the annotation process freaked me out: I have to have this done by tomorrow, and at one point there were more than sixty books on this list.

By the end of yesterday, I had ten annotations finished. Now, I only have six left, and I only started working today at 5:00pm. It was like something suddenly clicked on in my head, and I was able to figure things out just from book reviews, rather than trying to read through introductions and chapters of every single book. I started intuitively figuring out which books didn't belong on the list and were just filler. Honestly, at this point it's looking really good. And it's almost finished.

When Chris joked that I'd need to write one annotation every five minutes, he didn't think I was actually capable of doing so. He's a little freaked out by me, at this point.

(However, the prospect of finishing this is also a little freaky. When I'm done this assignment, I'm officially done my coursework and have to start comps reading. Starting tomorrow. Eek!)

No comments: