Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Discontentment

Somewhere along the line, I forgot how to be contented. At this time last year, Chris was unemployed, I wasn't able to register for classes (and thus couldn't collect any scholarship money yet), and we were just barely holding things together, financially. Right now, we're not in that place. I just finally received word that I can register for classes, which means that I can soon look forward to scholarship, fellowship, and signing bonus money. Chris has a second interview on Thursday for a promotion (please pray). Yes, money is fairly tight right now, but it's because we're trying to get our finances on track and pay off a bunch of stuff. Right now, all spare money goes toward debt.

And yet, if you asked me what I would do with a spare several thousand dollars, I could give you a detailed list:
  • I'd buy myself some really good walking shoes.
  • I'd replace that laptop of mine, which is getting cracks in the monitor.
  • I'd buy a good electric piano, with full keyboard and weighted, touch-sensitive keys.
  • I'd get a couch exactly the same as the one we're borrowing right now, and never have to return to futon-as-couch living.
  • I'd buy a whole bunch of new clothing.
  • At Christmas, I'd fly to Texas for my friend's wedding.

I was mulling over these demands while I was waiting for the bus today. I was thinking about my friends who could afford to fly to Texas for the wedding, envying the ready money that they had. And then I started wondering: when did I get like this? I've always gotten after people who have the mindset of "I'll be happy when...", and especially "I'll be happy when I have..." What use is this mindset that I've developed? It's not helping me at all, and all it's doing is making me unhappy.

And so I'll readjust:

  • I am thankful that Chris has a good full-time job, where he's doing well, and an opportunity for advancement within that company (into a job where he'd be teaching, and he'd have holidays off).
  • I am thankful for my lovely apartment, living under the best landlords I could imagine. (Did I mention that they brought us back a present from Hong Kong?) I am also thankful that my cost of living really didn't go up, when I moved from Saskatchewan to this Island.
  • I am thankful for my little digital camera, and that I got to use it to film the cutest train display that was going on near my house yesterday. One of the model trains shot bubbles out of its smokestack!
  • I am thankful that I've gotten to spend the summer with so many wonderful friends and family members.
  • I am thankful for my supportive little church group, who always hug us and tell us how glad they are that we live here.
  • I am thankful that I live right near a pretty beach.
  • I am thankful for my supervisor, who is amazingly supportive, and who inspires me to get excited about my research.
  • I am thankful for my fellow grad students in my department, who aren't all cut-throat competitive, but instead form a support system for me at the university.
  • I am thankful that I get to register now, and thus don't have to return all my library books this week.
  • I am thankful that I have the best family and family-in-law that I could ever imagine.
  • I am thankful to have Chris, who makes me jell-o, watches silly movies with me, and runs around in a Batman cape when I am sad.
  • And I am thankful for you internet people!

And now I'd better get back to library work.

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know exactly what you mean. I've long been a fan of counting my blessings. But lately I've realized that I was starting to spend too much time longing to be somewhere else and was neglecting to fully appreciate what I have here. It is so much easier to be content when you recognize how blessed you are than to forever be yearning for something that is currently out of reach.

Anonymous said...

Chris runs around in a batman cape when you're sad?? That is SO funny!! Eric would totally do that too..if he had a batman cape...but he does have superman boxers..hahaha...boys are so silly!

Leslie M-B said...

I am thankful for your bloggy goodness!

Anonymous said...

Kristin, you mean Maryanne is so silly - the batman cape is hers!

I'm thankful for a Mary.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I think Meg is silly: she gave the cape to me!

Anonymous said...

I can't deny it. I am silly.

But I'm still thankful for a Mary.