Monday, December 11, 2006

It's a good day after all

I'm really silly when it comes to meetings with my supervisor. For some reason, I become a nervous wreck about them. Take today, for instance. I had to have an essay written and two books read for today. I had finished reading the books, but had to finish writing the essay. But then I psyched myself out with the essay and convinced myself that I didn't have anything intelligent to say. And so I left the essay at home, with one more page to write, and went to the meeting with my prof (telling him that I'd hand in the essay tomorrow -- he was fine with that).

The meeting went well. Really well. My supervisor was excited about everything I had to say. Even though my head was all congested and I was slightly looped out on Advil Cold and Sinus. We planned out my next essay, and then he gave me back my first two essays. I got an 85% and an 86%.

Hm. I guess I'm not so dumb after all.

Then, when I got home, I checked my Ebay auction (where I was bidding on a Boney M Christmas Album), to discover that someone had outbid me. And had set a really high maximum bid, apparently, and so I dropped out of the race. But then I went back and checked to see if there was another album for sale, and I found another one! But this one is in mint condition (whereas the original one was only "Very Good," with some superficial marks), was only $3, and had a "Buy it now" button! And it's still in Canada, and so I still get the same cheap shipping. And now, instead of waiting until the end of an auction, I've already bought my Boney M album and it'll be in the mail tomorrow. Meaning that it'll be here before Christmas!

Today is a very good day after all.

(Some of you may think that I'm crazy with the Boney M Christmas. But the thing is that my brother and I have always listened to that record before Christmas, especially while we were decorating the tree. It's just not Christmas without "Mary's Boy Child" and "Zion's Daughter." I think it was far more urgent this year -- as opposed to last year, when CDs were readily availabe for sale -- because I'm not going to be home until after Christmas. As a result, I'm clinging to every bit of tradition that I can find. I'm even going to make rice porridge for Little Christmas Eve.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Boney M. However, the other day in the supermarket of the damned (Safeway), I was treated to a verrrrrry long Jackson Five Christmas carol. Ugh.

Anonymous said...

OMG Trillwing! We were treated to the same song at Safeway here. My sister's response was that there are some songs the Jackson 5 should never sing.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Pandora decided to "treat" me to that same one, too. I gave it so many thumbs down. So bad.

Boney M, on the other hand, is many levels of awesome. Okay, many levels of awesome if you were raised on "Mary's Boy Child." And if have an appreciation for a group that can write a peppy disco song about Rasputin.