Tuesday, March 08, 2005

I love this...

Note: Blogger seemed to lose this post, but apparently it still did save it! Yay!

I found a fun quiz on Early Modern Notes:

1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
5. Don’t search around and look for the “coolest” book you can find. Do what’s actually next to you.

I will do this now... the closest book to me is The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell. (It has little to do with my research, more to do with the fact that I was telling Ky about it a week ago, and apparently haven't put it away yet.)

"Osbert Sitwell was well acquainted with the story." Well, that's the most bland sentence in a fascinating paragraph about rumours of Great War deserters "harbored underground in abandoned trenches and dugouts and caves, living in amity and emerging at night to pillage corpses and gather food and drink."

I shall then choose the second-closest book, Little Man, What Now? by Hans Fallada (of course):
"Unemployed people, waiting for something, they didn't themselves know what, for who waited for work anymore...?" (His, or at least the translator's, ellipses.)

I am wearing: a bright blue "fox" polo shirt, with my new jeans.

I'm still pleased by: my weekend purchases of Batgirl and a pink trenchcoat.

I am waiting for: warmer weather, so that I can wear said pink trenchcoat.

I am amused by: the melting snowman on my balcony. It lost an arm today.

I feel stress because: I have a long way to go with this thesis, this week.

Highlight of my day: Taking Anne from Girls' Group out for coffee. We ended up spending two hours at Second Cup. The strawberry cheesecake was spectacular, and the prices were quite good. Oh, and the coffee I had was a Creme Brulee Ristretto. Wow. And that was my mini-Coffee House Junkie Review. That would be #3, unless you count my review of myself, and my making of Nutellaccinos.

I'm happy because: Dobbin, the tiny stuffed dog, is sitting on my shoulder.

No comments: