Friday, April 17, 2009

Now (or at least on Monday) We Are Six

The Wee Girlie turns six on Monday. She's old enough that she understands a lot more about the world around her than she ever did before, but still young enough (and has had such a happy childhood) that everything new she encounters is magic. It's fun.

I talked on the phone with her today, and everything I told her blew her mind. First, the idea that I made pink strawberry cupcakes today got the response of "Pink strawberry cupcakes?!?" And then it just got more exciting when I told her that her Mom was making them for her birthday.

But that was nothing compared to when I told her about the trip they're taking out here to Victoria at the end of September. It's been a long time since I tried to explain to her about where I live; I remember when she couldn't really fathom that I couldn't just come to her house and look at her toys immediately. But now? I got explaining to her that it would take a few days for them to drive out to my house, and then mentioned that they'll have to drive their van onto a big boat that's called a ferry.

"We have to ride a boat?" she asked.

"Yes, honey. I live on an island in the ocean,"

Her mom echoed in the background: "Auntie Mary lives on an island in the ocean."

I thought I'd clarify: "It's a really big boat. Actually, it's big enough that there restaurants and stores in the ferry."

"RESTAURANTS AND STORES on a BOAT?!?" she shrieked. It completely blew her mind. Now the trip was even bigger in her mind: Auntie Mary lives on the ocean! She lives walking distance from a beach! We're going to go and see seals! We're going to ride on a boat that has restaurants and stores!

When I went back to talking with her mom on the phone, I joked about how I apparently blew WG's mind by telling her about the ferry. And, as if on cue, the kid shouted in the background, "Restaurants and stores!"

No comments: