Before I get to the happier things, I'm trying to get this out to as many people as possible tonight: many of you know my friends Mark and Terra Dynna, and others have encountered Mark in the comments section here. Mark's dad Glenn (who is also my Grandma's cousin) had a bad accident today. Glenn fell off his roof and hit his head hard; he ended up in emergency brain surgery today. I just talked to Terra and Glenn came safely out of the surgery, but they don't know the extent of the damage because he'll need to be heavily sedated for the next few days. They were glad to see that he was using his hands and aware of his surroundings, but there had also been swelling that they had to take care of in the surgery, and they don't know what else might be wrong.
For those of you who pray, please pray. Please also remember Glenn's whole family: his wife Donna, his son Mike (who is with his wife in the Bahamas right now), and Mark and Terra and their little girls.
Okay. (Deep breaths.) I promised that I'd talk about the small happy things about every day, and so I have to do it today.
1. Today Chris and I went and bought groceries for supper at a cute little grocer called Peppers Foods (which won Best Canadian Independent Grocer in 2005!). (Andrea: why can't I find Aubergine?) I love Peppers. I didn't even know it existed until we drove past it today. The food there is beautiful.
2. Supper: grilled marinated steaks on a bed of mushroom risotto, with roasted beets and sauteed beet greens. For dessert, I did these little Vanilla Bean Lava Cakes, and used the leftover sauce from last night's cheesecake fondue as the topping. With blueberries. So, really, Valentine's Day was an excuse for me to try every Canadian Food Network recipe I've been hoarding for a while.
3. Chris somehow wheedled me into buying him the stuffed version of Quatchi, one of the mascots for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. They're very cute together. (Uh, but it's not the 3'2" version that I just saw online. Dear goodness.)
4. We just finished watching The Princess Bride. If I could hug a movie, I would hug this one.
5. I have a wonderful Christopher. And such wonderful friends back home and here. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. Even to those of you for whom today isn't so happy.