Saturday, February 14, 2009

GiST Day 25 and Urgent Prayer Request

Before I get to the happier things, I'm trying to get this out to as many people as possible tonight: many of you know my friends Mark and Terra Dynna, and others have encountered Mark in the comments section here. Mark's dad Glenn (who is also my Grandma's cousin) had a bad accident today. Glenn fell off his roof and hit his head hard; he ended up in emergency brain surgery today. I just talked to Terra and Glenn came safely out of the surgery, but they don't know the extent of the damage because he'll need to be heavily sedated for the next few days. They were glad to see that he was using his hands and aware of his surroundings, but there had also been swelling that they had to take care of in the surgery, and they don't know what else might be wrong.

For those of you who pray, please pray. Please also remember Glenn's whole family: his wife Donna, his son Mike (who is with his wife in the Bahamas right now), and Mark and Terra and their little girls.



Okay. (Deep breaths.) I promised that I'd talk about the small happy things about every day, and so I have to do it today.

1. Today Chris and I went and bought groceries for supper at a cute little grocer called Peppers Foods (which won Best Canadian Independent Grocer in 2005!). (Andrea: why can't I find Aubergine?) I love Peppers. I didn't even know it existed until we drove past it today. The food there is beautiful.

2. Supper: grilled marinated steaks on a bed of mushroom risotto, with roasted beets and sauteed beet greens. For dessert, I did these little Vanilla Bean Lava Cakes, and used the leftover sauce from last night's cheesecake fondue as the topping. With blueberries. So, really, Valentine's Day was an excuse for me to try every Canadian Food Network recipe I've been hoarding for a while.

3. Chris somehow wheedled me into buying him the stuffed version of Quatchi, one of the mascots for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics. They're very cute together. (Uh, but it's not the 3'2" version that I just saw online. Dear goodness.)

4. We just finished watching The Princess Bride. If I could hug a movie, I would hug this one.

5. I have a wonderful Christopher. And such wonderful friends back home and here. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone. Even to those of you for whom today isn't so happy.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

things I learned in Ireland: Aubergine = eggplant... if you didn't know that either, that may be why you can't find Aubergine in N. America... ? Hope this helps!!! :)

Andi said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, Maryanne. I'm sending good wishes his way.

Aubergines closed last year. Lee went last Passover to see if he could get me Tam Tams (Passover matzah crackers, favourite childhood snack), only to discover that it has been shut down. It used to be on Cadboro Bay Road, right near Pure Vanilla. I never got the chance to go either. :(

You didn't know about Peppers???? They are right next to the most awesome bulk food store ever! Super overpriced, but they have lovely stuff. And it sounds like you two had a lovely dinner! Lee and I had lunch at a nice cafe, found our wooden spice rack (amongst other things, Trivial Pursuit 90s edition for 6 dollars!!), and came home to eat Eugene's for supper. Mission for today, provide Lee's first dessert of the month: lemon meringue pie. oh, and I did get him that Salt cellar! He's not sure what it's for, but he likes it anyways. ;)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Man, I could use a salt cellar. I keep my salt in a tupperware container and use it as one, but a salt cellar would be so much nicer.

I saw For Good Measure next to Peppers! And I thought of you. For some reason, I thought For Good Measure was in Oak Bay Village.

Andi said...

Capital Iron, for 10 dollars. They have lots in stock. Apparently called salt pigs here. We're going back later this week to get some spice jars since the large glass ones we have don't fit so well. And we're going to get some cork, because I found a tutorial to make mousepads out of fabric! We could pick one up for you if you'd like.

Hehehe, that store just blows my mind.

jo(e) said...

Oh, I'm just reading this now. Saying prayers for Glenn and his family ....

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Thank you so much, jo(e).