1. Karaoke. It always makes me happy. (My friend Catherine and I sang "Mamma Mia")
2. I'm no longer locked out of my room, thanks to the helpful front desk lady. (Our electronic deadbolt malfunctioned and locked us out of our room for a while tonight.)
3. In the middle of a conference session this afternoon (the one that was closest to my field, and which was chaired by my supervisor), I realised a better way of framing my dissertation that would frustrate me far less. I was so excited that I skipped the next session (and skipped walking on the beach) so that I could write all my ideas and brainstorm for a while. This is huge and I suddenly have way more motivation to work than I've had in years.
4. I love that, because I work with (occasionally tech-averse) historians, I'm by default some kind of technology guru, just because I know how to operate basic equipment and can use several different kinds of computers. I've spent my day rescuing people from digital projectors and it makes me feel like some kind of superhero.
5. There was pumpkin pie cake at the banquet. For serious.