Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Late night

(Side note: coffee turned out to be a bad idea. That was such a bad day: I got all jittery and then I crashed and my stomach felt weird. And yet I still had to soldier on through the work. And so today green tea and I had a joyous reunion.)

Have I mentioned that Chris is home for two weeks for his school's Spring Break? It's seriously the loveliest thing ever. His idea of "relaxing" is "spending several days giving the house a deep-down cleaning like he's been itching to do for a while but has been too busy."

He's also been super-focused on making sure that I'm not too stressed out while I'm going through the Final Crazy Rush before my exams. I had so much work to do today before my first review meeting tomorrow, but I never felt stressed out. Chris made sure of that. He started the day by bringing me breakfast in bed, because I was up late last night trying to get something done. He made french toast with icing sugar and syrup. And I got to talk on the phone with Ariann for a few minutes while I was eating my french toast.

The sun was shining and Chris threw open all the windows in the house while he took care of as much of the dust as possible. And now our house smells so lovely and clean, like summertime. He spent the evening putting stars on our bedroom ceiling (he'd bought those glow-in-the-dark stars ages ago) and then made take a break and try to identify the constellations he'd put on the ceiling. For a few minutes there, I got to pretend that I was back home, laying in an open field and staring at the stars.

And now I've stayed up too late (Chris is asleep already), leisurely finishing that One Last Book before my meeting tomorrow, because in my head it's a summer night. I've just been out staring at the stars and now I'm up too late because the book I'm reading is just too good to put down.

(And the nice thing is that last statement is true. I didn't expect Walker to be such a gripping read, but I'm totally emotionally invested in this book, although now there's part of me that wants to go back in time and kick the pre-1960s Canadian Supreme Court in the shins.)

No comments: