Friday, February 02, 2007

Story Time from Saskatchewan

I'm at my aunt and uncle's house in Saskatoon right now, but I had to share a story from yesterday.

Background detail 1: There's some cliqueyness going on among the grad students in my department lately. You might say that some of the first years have formed themselves a "cool group." And, if you know me at all, you'll know that there's nothing that bugs me more than a cool group. (It may have something to do with flashbacks to high school. And may have provoked those recent flashbacks.)

On Saturday, our departmental grad students' society tried to have a beginning of semester potluck. Only five grad students were there, plus Chris. Of fifty in our department. It turned out that one of the first years had e-mailed a bunch of the others, saying he was tired of potlucks and didn't want to talk with people he didn't know, and invited them to a pub instead. But only invited those that are liked by the cool group.

Okay. So, I'd heard about the whole counter-event thing from several different people. (My friend Justin refers to those of us who work in the office all the time as the "Sewing Circle," because news travels so quickly through the office.) So had the president of our society, although we kept it from the girl who organised the potluck, because her feelings would be hurt. I decided to have a bit of a chat with the one who invited people away, because I know him and work with him. Our talk was really positive and helpful. We made plans for stuff that the whole group would enjoy doing. We talked about how everyone will be at the conference next weekend, and how it'll be good to have a chance for people to get to know each other. I casually mentioned, in context of "only five people came to the potluck" that I knew about all of them going to the pub. But not in an "I know what you did" way, but more in a casual-mention-like-it-was-general-knowledge way. We both said that it was a good talk.

Background detail 2: I spend all my time working in the PhD office. Our department has a common room, and then there's each an MA office and a PhD office off to the side of the common room. The doors are very thin, and we spend all of our time wandering back and forth through the three rooms. It's understood that, if you're wanting to work there, that you're going to be working with a bunch of others. Oh, and the common room is actually quite a small room, as are our offices.

Flash-forward to yesterday afternoon. I'd been working back and forth between the common room and the PhD office all day. Some MA student friends of mine had shown up and started working in the MA office, and so I moved to my office, but with the door open. A girl (I didn't recognise her voice) came in to the common room and was talking on her cell phone, and so I closed my door. But I could still hear her quite clearly, because the doors are like paper.

Suddenly I heard my name.

"Well, I don't know who told Maryanne, but she was talking with Erik yesterday, and he said that she knows that we went to the pub on Saturday! Who would have told her? Did you tell Maryanne? I didn't tell Maryanne. How would Maryanne have even heard about it?"

Now. What would you do in that situation?

I was kind of frozen. I didn't want to know why it was such a big deal that I knew. (Seriously, more than half the department got that e-mail. And I wasn't one of the organisers of the potluck.) I didn't want to hear any more of this. And I was going to have to leave the office soon, since I had to teach a class. It sounded like this phone conversation wasn't going to end anytime soon.

I don't know what I should have done, but I'll tell you what I did. My inner Kevin McDonald from "The Tax Man" episode of Corner Gas. Kicked in. In fact, what I said was a direct quote. (Which is why I'm pretty sure I only did this for my own amusement.)

I opened the door, and called out (she was seriously five feet away from me), "I'm right here! I can hear you!"

And that's when she took off running.* (It was some girl that I'd only met once before. I was surprised she even knew my name!)

What would you have done, in that situation? Would you have stayed hidden? Casually walked through the room and said "Hi?" Am I entirely twisted that, for the rest of the day, I kept remembering that exchange and bursting out laughing? Especially when remembering how everybody knows that the common room is the worst place to have a private conversation, and the offices are always full of people silently working?




* (She later came back, and did a bunch of back-tracking, and we actually got to know each other a bit. We second years have decided that our response to all of this will be just to be friendly with them, get to know them individually and not treat them like a whole group, and ignore their drama. Set the example by being grown-ups. But I'm adding my own twist by not allowing any kind of talking-behind-backs.)

11 comments:

Bella Sultane said...

I'm impressed with how you've handled this (completely awkward!) situation. And, OMG, the girl on the phone - gah. She must have been mortified.

Anonymous said...

i love your response...hellooo? I can hear you!! o my gosh, that's so hilarious. i would have been laughing all day, too. except realistically I would have been the girl on the phone and been totally horrified that someone heard me and would not have been laughing all day. :)

I definitely think setting the example of how to be a grown up is a good idea. clearly, they need some role models, these children.

Leslie M-B said...

Hahahahahaha! I love the way you reacted. I'm much more a "listen-and-then-plot-my-humiliating-revenge" type.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! Did this girl think she could escape you by running, even though you work in the same department?

I think you did the right thing. My response would have depended on what I felt my standing in the department was. If I was a first year, I probably wouldn't have said anything. If I felt fairly confident of my position, I would have said what you said, or perhaps I would have been more direct and said something like, "Since you sent your email to half the department, it's not likely that I'm the only one who shouldn't know about it but does." Or something like that.

Your response was better.

And the laughter is cool. I probably would have laughed about it for days, each time I saw her.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I think you did totally the right thing, both by addressing the pot-luck sabotage and by letting cell-phone girl know you could hear her. Both things should do a lot to defuse the petty silliness, and put you above it.

arimich said...

2You are completely brilliant. And you get gold stars for an excellent job of calling attention to bad behaviour while still expecting better and helping people make good decisions.

My mom loved this. She's very impressed with your storytelling abilities, and sends gold stars.

arimich said...

I'm not sure how that 2 got in there. Very mysterious...

The History Enthusiast said...

I think you totally rock! At my institution things are opposite: the older, mostly-ABD students are extremely clique-y and frequently "forget" to invite some of us to parties, and then have the gall to talk about it constantly in front of us (thus making us feel like insecure idiots). It's great fun. I'm glad you're taking the high ground in your situation by acting like a mature adult. Snaps for you.

Shannon said...

Oh Maryanne, you are truly hilarious. I would have probably burst into tears and been moody and way overly sensitive about it. You turned it into something funny. Thank you for sharing this story.

jo(e) said...

You handled this so well. I would have loved to see her face.

And I think you are right to ignore the junior high behavior ....

Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

That is pretty funny-- you handled it well.

She learned the hard way what many debaters learn -- never say stuff you wouldn't want someone else to hear, or -- at least wait until you are in the debate van and it is going 15 MPH down the road... some teams call it the 15 rule, others the van rule -- but, it is a good rule for life!

Good for you on being more adult than the first-years.