Monday, February 26, 2007

And now for something completely different: muffins

I promised the Crazy Mommy that I'd blog this recipe for Strawberry-Kiwi muffins, which I made while making myself busy and avoidant yesterday afternoon. (Also, because we were going to an Oscar party, and the host is big into muffins.) I started from this recipe, but then I adapted it heavily (partially because I used strawberry yogurt, and thus lowered the amount of sugar I added, but also because there wasn't nearly enough liquid in the recipe, especially with yogurt instead of milk, and so I added a bit more milk and even a tiny bit more yogurt.)

Strawberry Kiwi Yogurt Muffins

2 1/4 c. sifted all-purpose flour
1/8 c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. strawberry yogurt*
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sliced strawberries
1/2 c. sliced kiwi

1. Stir together dry ingredients.
2. Beat eggs. Blend them with oil, vanilla, yogurt, and milk.
3. Add liquid to dry ingredients. Stir quickly just until moistened.
4. Fold in strawberries and kiwis.
5. Spoon into well-greased or lined muffin cups.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield: the recipe said it would make 14 small muffins, but I just filled the tins to more than 2/3 full, and it made 12 muffins exactly.
* I ended up adding the rest of the yogurt cup (I was using those individual yogurts) to the mixture, because there was way too little liquid at first. And so it was a little more than 1/2 c. of yogurt, after that.

Also, next time I might increase the sugar from 1/8 c. to 1/4 c., as the recipe originally called for 1/3 c., and the recipe really isn't very sweet. The kiwis make it taste more like strawberry and rhubarb, because they're so tart. (They were also very new, which may have been why they were so tart.) But I absolutely loved the texture. I'm definitely making variations on this recipe again, and I think I'll try it with other berries.

(By the way, yes, those are silicon muffin cups I'm using. I'm in love with those muffin cups. They are fantastic.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those look amazing. I am not much of a muffin girl. I've been told all the tricks, but they just don't come out right, no matter what.

My Yorkshire puddings, on the other hand are quite nice.

crazy mom said...

They look yummy! I'm really impressed with the silicone muffin cups. I thought you had the whole muffin tray which was made of silicone. Those muffin cups are awesome, I need to find me a set of those!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

CM: I also have a silicone muffin tray (it's in the larger size), but I just got those silicone muffin cups. They're from Superstore.

krisluvswool said...

You made beautiful muffins! And I agree that silicone baking stuff is the BEST baking stuff.