Sunday, October 08, 2006

Yes, I'm even weirding myself out

As we continue with the Holiday Weekend of Fluffy Content, Where We Nearly Forget That the QoWP is a Historian, I really need to share two things that have been pleasing me endlessly today.

1. I made a perfect pumpkin pie from scratch. There was so much working against it. I pureed a pumpkin last year, and the puree's been sitting in our deep freeze for nearly a year. I used waaaay too much liquid to puree the pumpkin, and the recipe I had was for canned pumpkin that you buy at a store, and so I had to adjust the liquids a lot. And it took nearly an extra half an hour to bake, because it was still so liquidy. I was worried about this, because this pie was a present. But it was spectacular. (I also did real whipped cream for the first time.) I can't stop talking about that pie. I feel pretty nearly competent today.

2. I have gone insane with the pot-painting. I even bought more acrylics today. Chris was shocked to see how relaxed I get when I'm painting. Hm. I apparently forgot that I love this so much.


That green one on the left (I did a drastic overhaul with the light blue pot that bored me) is my favourite. It makes me ridiculously happy. After I finished it and was feeling waaaay too pleased with myself, Chris found another plant pot, which I promptly painted purple.

My present girliness is freaking me out. (Don't worry: tomorrow I'll be working on my application for That Federal Grant Whose Name I Curse, and I'll be back to my normal self.)

(Note to self: stop focusing so much on the pots for our window box herb garden, and start finding seeds to plant!)

3 comments:

Matt said...

Aw, Maryanne is all crafty! And not in the usual sense of the word as I use it. Although you are often that, too. I'm glad you're having a good weekend.

Anonymous said...

Aw! Just skip the seeds and go right to the small plants. It's not worth the headache!

The pots are super cute. It reminds me of my mom after her and her crazy boyfriend broke up many years ago-- she was obsessed with painting little wooden bird houses. My grandfather's house has little birdhouses everywhere!!!! It was almost as good as actual therapy for her.

(On a side note: I painted one blue with fluffy white clouds on it; I thought it was pretty darned cute if I do say so myself).

Queen of West Procrastination said...

We have lots and lots of seeds, and will have some fun experimenting with getting them to actually germinate. (It's been such a long time since I've had any kind of garden which I've planted right from seeds.)

Painting little birdhouses sounds like a lot of fun. I like painting practical-ish objects, because they disguise most of my mistakes. And then it's more "decorating" than "creating from scratch."