Friday, October 13, 2006

QoWP vs. the Tiny Essay

Time: 2:15pm

Tea: Pear Tree Green, lots of sugar

Teapot: Bodum (have I ever mentioned that I single-handedly drink an entire pot of tea in one sitting?)

Teacup (yes, this is important): Grandma's Royal Albert with yellow roses. I needed something special today, which apparently entails using Grandma's best china.

Progress on this ridiculously short essay: page 2 of 4. Yes, this only has to be a 4 page essay. Yes, this is my second day writing it. A page per day.

At this rate: I'm going to be a very, very old person by the time I finish my PhD.

Also difficult: It is beautiful outside! And I have to stare at the blue sky through my office window. Why am I inside again? Oh yeah. Because it's taking me more than a day to write four pages.

Bonus question: What does one take to a potluck get-together of female history grad students, when one lives on the West Coast? It's happening at supper time tomorrow. I'd be tempted to bring Chris's Famous Ribs, but I suspect that we have a number of vegetarians and vegans in the crowd. And I think I have to bring a main course item. (I can't make Blondies covered in Mackintosh's toffee and chocolate chips, as I did at the last department function.) Would scalloped potatoes be a good idea?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Edamame beans! They're soybeans, but you crack them open like peas in a pod. You'll like them! You can buy them at Safeway.

Or your scalloped potatoes are good too. They're very yummy.

Anonymous said...

Oh please share those recipes too (ribs and dessert)!

P.S. I love your descriptions of tea, teacup, etc. They make me feel all cozy.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I think I'll do scalloped potatoes, because it's something that I already know how to cook. And I'm pretty sure that we don't have any outright vegans in the crowd, and so the bit of milk in the scalloped potatoes won't be a problem.

And Dixie: I wouldn't even know what to share about the ribs recipe, because it's Chris's big thing, and I don't think he's ever really established how much of everything he puts in the sweet and sour sauce. He's that kind of cook.

But I'll possibly post the Blondies recipe.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, the 4 page papers are always so much worse than the 20 page papers.

The blondies sound YUMMY.

Limon de Campo said...

I'm too late to weigh in, I'm sure, but I think potatoes in any form are scrumptious.

arimich said...

I also would like to see your Blondies recipe. They sound absolutely fabulous (well, anything with McIntosh's toffee gets my vote!).