Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hooray!

Today, I had a meeting with the same "grantscrafting" person who made me cry last year. She was going to be looking over my Program of Study, and I was honestly nervous. I was steeling myself for the possibility that she was going to tear everything apart, and I wasn't going to know what to do.

Well, she loved it. She cheered after every paragraph. She hardly made any editing marks, other than to help me write a bit of a conclusion. She told me that I "deserve" federal funding, and that I'd be on the top of her list, if she was on my [federal funding agency] committee. In fact, she ended the meeting by cheering, "Well done! Well done!"

Whaaaat? I didn't know that meetings could go like this! What does this mean? Am I allowed to get my hopes up this year? What if I start assuming that the funding is mine and then it doesn't happen?

So confusing. So exciting.


******

In other news, meet Lampy, the newest member of the Procrastination household:


It doubles as an alarm clock (with the options of beeping or birds tweeting) and dawn simulator. I used it for the first time this morning. (I'm going to use it every morning when I first wake up, instead of three times a week, whenever I make it to the university -- goodbye drastic mood swings!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet! If I may ask, where did you buy Lampy?

I live in a lightless basement suite, but have always lived in Vancouver. Still, I find that I am lethargic and apathetic. I'm wondering if my penchant for eating bowls of pasta as big as my head, taking naps at 11am, and complete rejection of exercise may be factors in SAD.

Anonymous said...

Alsoplus, here's hoping it's a year of fulfilled hopes for you, funding and otherwise.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Monkeypants, I bought my Lampy at London Drugs.

Here is the website for the UBC Mood Disorders Centre, where they're conducting some amazing research on SAD. They have further information about SAD, plus a list of places where you can find lamps in Vancouver, and they're also looking for people in the Vancouver area for their research!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, QWP. Very helpful, indeed. I will call them.

Jen said...

How much did lampy cost? I think I may benifit from it too.... I tend to stay inside in the cold weather, so I get very little sunlight in the winter.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

$250. And somewhere between $200-300 is pretty average.