Saturday, November 26, 2005

Fun with light and colour

Today is a gorgeously sunny day. I can't rave enough about it. It's been a perfect day for working on my project of creating a photographic tour of our apartment for the folks back home. I'm still working on that, but I also had some fun with still lifes, especially playing with the fun light and colour around the kitchen.

First we have a close-up on some fun canisters that our friend Elisia gave us as a wedding present, and which add some lovely colour to our kitchen window:


I also wanted somehow to capture the other fun window sill items: the mortal and pestel (extreme foreground), the depression glass, and the orange and lime jug and cup. Therefore, I did some twisting about, and shot them from below. (Also photographed: the crazy dolphin lace curtains that came with the place):

Here's the spice rack we got from Chad's grandma. Just above it, you can see a bit of a shadow of a dolphin, from the curtain:

Finally, Chris has been playing with ways of photographing the bulbs from Janice's broken Galileo's Thermometer. They're in a custard cup and on top of our deep freeze (and I had some fun playing with the contrast):

(P.S. Message to Derek from Chris -- we're listening to DNTO's search for a movie critic, and their first finalist is a pastor from Edmonton. Chris fell on the floor laughing, quite literally, when he found out. And, for some reason, he immediately thought of you. But not enough to tell you himself, apparently.)

5 comments:

Jen said...

Wow- art!

Life of Turner said...

Am I the only one who is amused that your husband, who has a blog, is communicating to me, who also has a blog, through your blog? It's also funny he knew I would get the message within a day of when it was posted. Ah, the blogosphere.

Derek out.

Pink Cupcake said...

The Galileo bulb photo is very cool and arty.

Anonymous said...

I'm with pink cupcake..I like all the pictures actually but the last one is really nifty. That should be made poster size for Chris's science classroom when he gets back into that!!!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

It's especially good when it's enlarged -- a lot is lost in the shrinking that Blogger does (and somehow it continually darkens the pictures; the desktop picture is much brighter).

I think I should have that printed in poster size for Chris.