Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Finally saving some food money...

So, the Real Canadian Wholesalers in Saskatchewan are all "No Membership Required," but they aren't here (zoning by-law within the city). But Chris discovered that he could get a membership through work (and membership is free, as long as you work for a business that qualifies for membership), and so we went this evening. Oh, it was beautiful.

We set a price limit of $50, and tried to keep ourselves rational while shopping. Thankfully, they're not crazy like Costco, and so you can also get their normal Superstore no-name regular-sized stuff. It was most triumphant. We got a huge stick of summer sausage for less than $9, and Chris is now slicing it up into zillions of Ziploc bags to put in the deep freeze (we have a meat slicer). (Chris just estimated that we're getting about 300 slices.)

I'm so happy now, because our money's way too tight for how expensive food is here. My biggest complaint out on the island has been how much more we've had to spend on food than at home, but this will really help. (And hey! If you ever want a 20kg bag of cake mix...)

2 comments:

arimich said...

I'm so jealous! I miss farmer sausage - good Mennonite food - although I'm planning on having a perogie making day sometime after crazy. Maybe I should come visit you... :)

p.s. My verification word: ZOOPS. I think people should start using it. Now.

Jen said...

Imagine making a cake with 20 lbs of cake mix.... That would be sweet.