Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Augghhh! I've been tagged!

Okay, so I'm taking up the challenge from Derek: list five things that people in your circle of friends or peer group do that you just do not understand the fuss over. Like Derek, I'm going to go with "University students" or "people my age" or something.

1. Video games and most computer games. I make an exception for Tetris (except when it gets too fast for me) and awesomeness like Text Twist or computer solitaire games. Other than that? I lack the hand-eye coordination, and the interest.

2. iPods. Honestly, I just can't get myself excited over them like everyone has been. My favourite way to listen to music is at home, creating an evironment for myself, and I love my stereo. Or I hook up my computer (with the iTunes, admittedly) to the TV speakers. Actually, I'd way prefer to listen to records. I love good quality headphones (top of my Christmas list: puffy headphones), but I'm really bothered by the fact that everyone around me on the bus and at the University has essentially dropped out of society: they're listening to their own music on their iPods, shutting everyone else out. It makes the whole place feel far less friendly. It also bothers me how these iPods have become such status symbols. (This is way more obvious in status-obsessed BC than back home.) Bah. (Okay, now I'm starting to sound like I hate all technology, with the last two entries.)

3. Mukluk-style boots (such as Uggs) with skirts. They are EVERYWHERE at this University! I've been too trained by the Manolo, and so every time I see them, I boo them in my head.

4. The whole university party lifestyle. Okay, I value having a social life outside of school (I'm the first one to say that you need a balanced life, and if you devote your entire life to the books, it's going to kill you). But I can't fathom why you'd pay to go to school, and then waste your entire time a.) never sleeping, and b.) taking part in behaviour that's going to hinder you from being at all useful in the daytime. Okay, so I'm both a teetotaler and very allergic to alcohol (alcohol=bad migraine), but the issue here isn't "any consumption of alcohol at all." Instead, I find it to be really sad how many people out there think that the only way to enjoy themselves is to purposely make themselves sick and unable to control themselves. I'm getting off of my soapbox now.

5. The current boyshort-style underwear that causes evil wedgies, and is designed to cause evil wedgies. EVIL!

So, yes. That list makes me sound very curmudgeonly. I don't feel like tagging particular people, so I'll just say: if you want to take up the challenge, you're tagged!

3 comments:

Jen said...

OK, I'll do it as soon as I get internet again. (Hopefully tonight)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Then what are you using to comment? I'm so confused.

Anonymous said...

I disagree with one of your comments strongly.

You can devote your life to books and it wont kill you! (of course it may leave you mentally deranged, but that is a whole other matter.)