Sunday, July 10, 2005

Back

Oh, goodness. What a week to be away. You have no idea how much you get cut off from the entire world when you're at Camp. For that week, we purposely unplug from everything, to the point of not even listening to recorded music while we're on the grounds -- whatever we're listening to, we're singing and playing ourselves. It's fascinating. But that makes it very surreal when world events break through our bubble and we come to terms with it.

It was very difficult to be at Camp, and away from internet (although, I must announce, they -- of all people -- just got wireless!), away from BBC News, away from the Globe and Mail and away from blogger analysis, this week. I first heard about the London bombings through the Camp grapevine, and finally my sister sat in her car to listen to the news on the radio, and announced it to the rest of our dorm. There were a lot of people in the prayer room, before that morning's church service, of course. (And that was as much my response as everyone else's: all I could do was pray.)

But it was actually good to spend the week away from a lot of media, especially at this time. No, I'll rephrase that: I'm glad I spent this week far away from anything that resembles CNN or Fox. I had all the essential facts of what happened, and then when I got home, I read through the newspaper through the different reports and analysis.

But now I'm back. This is going to be a crazy week, but I'm already paring back on what I'm doing in these last few days before the wedding. We'll do what we need to do, and take a lot of time to have fun with people and to relax, and that's it.

So, those are the disjointed thoughts of an exhausted Queen, emerging from the bubble.

No comments: