Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Okay, I'll just keep deep breathing...

I'm going to do it. Really. I'm going to unplug my network card to keep me from accessing the internet. If I miss a new comment on my blog, or a new post on someone else's, or a new e-mail, for the duration of this evening's essay-writing, it will not cause a natural disaster.

Certain friends have accused me of compulsive behaviour. I have no idea where they got the idea.

But quickly, one last thought: do you ever get to the point where you forget that internet access isn't one of our inalienable rights or necessities for survival? Sometimes I fear that maybe I've become like one of those people who would call in, back when a friend of mine worked for Parts & Service for a certain large store, and complain that their broken dishwasher wasn't being marked as priority and being fixed that day. "What will I do until it's fixed?" they would wail. "Wash them by hand?" she would respond. "But I have a family!" they would complain. "Doesn't that mean there are more people to wash dishes?" she would then ask.

Seriously: the crisis of the evening (barring writer's block) was the inability to view Blogger blogs. I have lost all perspective! And become very rambly!

Now I'm going to stop. Really. Good night, since we won't talk again tonight. I promise.

No comments: