Friday, January 15, 2010

Five Whole Years as Your Queen

Five years ago today, I started up a blog so that I could leave comments on Derek's and Ariann's blogs.

I was in a funny place in my life: I was desperately trying to make that transition from research to writing (my MA thesis), trying to get anything written, but sabotaging myself with procrastination. I was settled into my living situation but looking forward to a time in which all that would change (and I was particularly starting to look towards a big move across the country sometime in my future). The only times I seemed to leave the house were for church, yoga class, and allergy shots. And I spent my life wandering the apartment in rubber-soled slippers.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

It's not all the same as before. I'm in my fifth year of my PhD now, four-and-a-half years married, and for four-and-a-half years I've lived on the West Coast. I'm thirty pounds heavier, don't dye my hair anymore, and have finally stopped wearing that same pair of glasses. I cook from scratch a lot more, stand up for myself a little bit more, and I talk to my parents much more frequently than I did when we lived in the same city.

This blog has been such a blessing. I've made friends through it, and have possibly learned more about academia through the people I've met through blogging than I have in grad school. I've kept in contact with people back home through it, and have received support through the harder times.

Thanks everyone for reading, and let's see where I'm at by the tenth blogaversary.

6 comments:

lucy said...

Congratulations on your blogiversary! :)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Thanks, Lucy! And I'm glad that blogging has given me the chance to get to know you.

Natasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natasha said...

Sorry, the above comment was me under an incorrect google sign in!

Anyway, Happy Blogiversary! I've been reading from the very beginning and can't believe it's been 5 years. Here's to the next 5 years in the Kingdom of Procrastination!

Natasha (formerly Pink Cupcake)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Natasha! I was just wondering how you were doing.

Life of Turner said...

Blogging is quite the journey, eh? I'm still learning all sorts of new stuff five and a half years later, and it's still a meaningful exercise for me. Congrats. And where have you added 30 pounds?

P.S. the word verification is "hymemo". Awesome.