Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Also, I rescued orphans from a burning building

My day, in order:

I woke up just after 6am after a very busy and late-night weekend. I was in the library basement by about 7:45.

I dressed up today, because I would go straight from my research to our fundraiser auction. Because of that, plus the fact that I was sitting at the big microfilm scanner computer, and the microforms librarian was gone for the day, I was repeatedly mistaken for a librarian. I spent the whole day with people asking me for help loading their microfilm into the readers, or to find a specific roll of film.

Okay, and then I somewhat pretended to be the librarian to make a loud study group go away and actually use a group study room. (The library basement is a designated silent study area and it's full of grad student carrels, so I wasn't just being a jerk.)

But I still managed to read more than six months' worth of German newspapers. Brain doesn't function. Accidentally said "unpossible" because the German word is "unmöglich."

Made a copy of an article from 1931 because its headline was "Beer for Babies." (But in German.)

And then went straight to the auction, where our band raised $800! (The reserve price we were looking for was $300, and for $350 we would add in an encore; for this amount, we are now committed to playing at the conference itself and taking requests). It went well, and the World's Best Kid played egg shakers and did a crazy beatnik dance for us during the encore. Those of you who know me on Facebook should go and watch the videos. You'll also see me dressed as a librarian.

Today's been nuts, and I don't know why I'm still awake. Tomorrow will be here so quickly, because I need to now turn around and read at least eight months' worth of newspaper.

3 comments:

The Blog Fodder said...

So tell us about beer for babies, already.

DC Power said...

We watched the videos. The performances were great.

C said...

Awesome! you guys were so great! whose little girl is that? she was hilarious!