Sunday, May 31, 2009

Garage Sale Finds

We spent an entire Saturday garage sale-ing, and nearly all of our favourite finds came from one house, where we only actually spent $8. (We also bought a laptop bag for when Chris takes my old notebook computer to school, and a bunch of beautiful old maps.)

The sorts of things that we found at that One Magical Garage Sale were like the garage sales you find back home. (Seriously: no one else in this region knows how to put on a garage sale; they're all "we annually take a couple of unwanted items out of our basement, throw them on the lawn, overcharge you for them, and only keep the sale open for an hour and a half on a Saturday morning.") But here? At a sale on top of the magical-sounding Triangle Mountain? We found things like this:
Now we have a kitchen window that looks like my mother-in-law's


And this:

(I've always wanted to have a couple of old milk bottles of my own, because one Grandpa was a dairy farmer and the other was a milk man. Also, they make terrific vases.)


Plus piles and piles of board games, all for $1!
From 1956! And the game's name is in quotation marks!


I guess this is only one pile of board games. Note: we bought a second Clue board because the awesome 1956 one was missing the lead pipe and a couple of other things. And because it's pretty much my favourite game, right after Trivial Pursuit. I now have five different versions of Trivial Pursuit.

I've already played Clue twice, using the old-timey board, and won both times. Best day ever.

9 comments:

Bronwyn said...

STOCK TICKER!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Blog Fodder said...

STOCK TICKER!!!!!
If you ever see it again, buy me one, too, please.

Bronwyn said...

Don't worry Dad, I have an extra one for you. It's at the house.

LynnieC said...

I was totally going to comment "STOCK TICKER" too, but I see my family has already taken care of that. Also, insanely jealous of your finds and your ever growing collection of Trivial Pursuit games.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

All that's left is Ky (well, Graeme too, but he doesn't read my blog), but she already knows that we bought Stock Ticker.

Chris has plans of making Ky play Stock Ticker with us. We just have to lure her away from her homework for long enough.

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

I'd let everyone else have Stock Ticker and just take those gorgeous jars myself!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

QofFC: Welcome! I'm now regretting not buying the entire box of jars. They were all so gorgeous, and they only charged us 50 cents each.

Anonymous said...

Awesome board game finds Mary. I've always wanted to play Scotland Yard myself. An (almost) 50 year vintage copy of "Clue" (love the quotes!) is a pretty sweet find too. Huzzah for board game geeks.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Mark: I'm pretty sure Chris's parents have a copy, and so we'll have to play it this summer.