Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The seasons here are all messed up

As I was zoning out from my work for a moment, staring out the window, a robin hopped by on the fence. A robin! I thought to myself, "Hooray! A sign of Spring!"

...except that it's January. And you're more likely to see birds here in the wintertime than you are in the summer. (I think they migrate here from the rest of the country, and then everyone but the gross scavengers go away when it gets warm everywhere else.)

I know this isn't the craziest thing about this city,* but still: living in Victoria makes me all messed up as to which season it is.

(And I'm not the only one! Apparently, this whole gets worse the longer you live here. One of the old ladies in church said to me, "I'm so glad to see that spring is coming!" And I had to remind her that it has only been winter for one month now, and that there's a good chance that it could snow again within the next few weeks.)




* The craziest part of this city? Probably its residents. With its infrastructure being a close second.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It snowed this morning!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

What? I heard it was supposed to (and the weather report even said it was snowing), but it never happened here. That's what happens when you live in the even-more-sheltered part of the city.