Saturday, November 15, 2008

Dreaming of Citrus

As autumn has deepened and the days have gotten darker, I've been dreaming of lemons. It's funny to me because I do not normally love lemons: I always pick out the yellow candies and trade them for other colours with friends who are willing to eat lemon-flavoured candies. And usually I'm too cheap to buy fresh lemons, since most stores around here sell them at a dollar each.

But lately, especially on cloudy and drizzly days, I've been craving citrus. Any and all citrus. Brightly-coloured fruit that cut through the dreariness of November. I found a big bag of lemons for cheap at the store yesterday, and was thrilled to discover that you can easily freeze them whole, meaning that I can make this sunny little fruit last long into the winter, for whenever I suddenly need to make lemonade and pretend that it's summer for a while.

Well, first I made my favourite banana bread recipe and didn't ignore the part where it calls for fresh lemon zest.

1 comment:

Leslie M-B said...

Maybe you have scurvy! :)