Saturday, January 12, 2008

Mid-way through

I'm in the middle of trying out the New York Times' No-Knead Bread Recipe, with wolfa's suggestions. And I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong: I waited much less than eighteen hours, since it already had bubbles on the surface, and it was pretty nearly liquid! I've had to add another cup of flour and it still isn't to the point of being "enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers". Touching the dough = the dough becomes one with my hands.
This may be my first bread failure. We'll see what happens.

(My suspicion is that the dough was too warm where it was sitting. I'm sure it was more than 70F there.)

Update at 1:30pm: It turned out okay, actually. I'll have to try it again and see if it's easier.

2 comments:

mrsbingley said...

Good luck with the bread! I'm a chicken when it comes to bread recipes....I've only ever used the ones from the KitchenAid recipe book.

Breena Ronan said...

I baked that recipe several times last year, the timing is important. It looks crazy, like it will never work, but just let it sit there over night. Put it in something that is super covered in flour or it will stick. Once you let it sit the first time, then you can add a little more flour to make sure it doesn't stick to your hands while you work with it. Just follow the recipe and it will turn out amazing. Seriously, I couldn't believe how well it turned out.