Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Technology is funny

Lately, I've been having problems with the display on our digital camera. It's been getting crazy lines and sometimes it's unreadable. This has worried me plenty, because you really can't do anything with a digital camera without the display.

Then, this evening while I was visiting with my inlaws my mother-in-law told me how she got a free camera from work, because they were throwing out a Sony Cybershot because the display wasn't working. She had offered to take it and see if her brother could fix it.

I exclaimed, "You mean, Uncle Kim can fix the problem on my camera? I have the exact same camera and that same problem!"

And that's when she told me how to fix it. My father-in-law had decided to look up the problem on the Sony website before passing it off to Uncle Kim. And he found a place where they addressed this exact (known) problem, and gave these instructions: take your knuckle and rap it hard against the "Cyber-shot" logo on the front of the camera. My FIL said their camera has worked perfectly ever since.

I just tried it. And it worked. I don't normally recommend banging around delicate pieces of technology, and I don't fully understand how it worked, but it worked.

Weird.

4 comments:

BrightStar (B*) said...

yay! I'm glad that worked. I've heard of an iPod fix that involves banging on it, too. Weird.

Anonymous said...

I actually DO recommend hitting things to fix them. It's guaranteed to work. And I recommend pokin' and blowin' to make a fire go big.

Kate said...

Ha! I love it when the officially fix ends up being basically a folk remedy. It's actually amazing what can be fixed by banging it....

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Kate! Queen of East Procrastination!