Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another silly fact about me

I just remembered this one:

Whenever I'm really sick (especially if I have a migraine), or really sad, or really stressed out and it's going to take more than a hug to cheer me up or relax me, we bring out the big guns:

A. A. Milne's Now We Are Six.

And I have to read about half the poems out loud. (Sometimes I let my sister read them out loud, if she's around.) And I always read the same ones, in the same order. ("And round about. And round about. And round about I go.")

(Also, I turn to the last two pages of When We Were Very Young, and sing "Vespers." "Hush! Hush! Whisper who dares, Christopher Robin is saying his prayers.")

It never fails to cheer me up. (But I can't read it too frequently, or else I would decrease its effectiveness.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I self-medicate with books as well. It's usually L.M. Montgomery. Anne of Green Gables if I'm feeling low. Of course, drastic measures call for Jane of Lantern Hill.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Ooh. Good call with the Jane of Lantern Hill and Anne of Green Gables. The Blue Castle is also excellent for that.

arimich said...

I love that book! (Now We Are Six, although I do like those other ones as well.) I still maintain that it's one of the brattiest presents I've received, though. Grrr.