Saturday, September 02, 2006

Labour Day Weekend

This is the Saturday of a weekend that I've traditionally spent outdoors in Northern Saskatchewan. I always feel the most homesick on holidays, when I realise how life is going on without me back home. I inadvertantly start wondering whether Uncle Ragnar's setting up a campfire tonight. What people are going to wear tomorrow night to the retreat's "banquet," and how they'll pair people up. I realise that it's mid-afternoon there, and wonder if there's volleyball going on right now. I wonder if the girls will come home with a new inside joke that they'll have to patiently explain to me.

It's time to get out of the house and celebrate the Long Weekend for ourselves. I need some way of marking the end of summer and beginning of fall and school (not that I've been off for the summer, as people kept mistakenly believing). I think we're going to spend it at the ocean. That sounds right.

3 comments:

krisluvswool said...

Labour Day is hardly celebrated here! I think the only thing most people think about here is bbq, sales, and having a day off :( But it's quickly becoming MY favorite holiday!! Hooray for Labour Day!

Anonymous said...

Aaaahhh, Labour Day in PV. My niece is at it for the first time and I'm sad I can't see it..although she'll tell me all the juicy details (actually hopefully not juicy)in the next day or two. One of the things I remember the most about Labour Day is when Ragnar announced after church that there was going to be a bonfire but 'no weiners!' to which Lane replied under his breath...'awww, the boys can't come?' hahaha...

LynnieC said...

Labour Day was super fun. The way people were paired up for the banquet was actually pretty funny. The girls were supposed to bring an accessory and put it on a table. The boys had to pick an accessory and the matching girl was their date. So I put my necklace from PEI on the table and waited. Mason was one of the first boys out there. He pointed at my necklace, said "Hey, that's what Lyn was wearing" and moved on down the table.
It hurt me.