Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Electronic Security Blankets

As I plan my trip to Saskatchewan, I face a challenge that hasn't occurred to me in three years: I'm not going to be able to take my computer with me. Which means that, as I make my packing list and as I plan out my presentation, I'm also making lists of all the files that I should be sure to store on my memory key. "Conference paper? Check. Flight itinerary and conference agenda? Check. Copy of the font, in case my parents' computer doesn't have it? Check. All of the files associated with my comps lists? Check..." I wracking my brain to make sure that I'm not forgetting anything. For a week's trip to my parents' house, which houses two computers and two printers and a fabulous scanner.

But, over the past three years, I've gotten used to being inseperable from my computer. Everything's in here. It's how I stay connected with people. Free wireless (or lack thereof) is a dealbreaker at coffee shops. It's the first thing I take out when I have a layover at an airport.

It's funny to realise this, because I used to be so resistant to getting a cellphone. "Why would I want people to be able to contact me at all times?" Now, I'm not the sort of person who's always attached to her cell, or who even remembers to keep her phone on, and yet I tend to keep it on me. I tend to get frustrated when I need to reach Chris and his phone isn't on. I've gotten used to being able to track people down instantly.

How did I get this way? How did I become so indoctrinated into treating "staying connected" as one of life's basic needs?

Maybe it's for the best that my computer's less-than-portable right now. This is the year in which I have to read 200 books. Maybe I need to learn how to be alone with a book again. Maybe I need to learn how to communicate with people in person again.

2 comments:

Leslie M-B said...

Have you considered uploading everything to one of the free online storage sites such as box.net? That way if your flash drive fails, you'll still have everything online.

Have I done this myself yet? Of course not. But I keep meaning to do so.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Trillwing, you're brilliant. I love having backup storage places, especially after I had the whole incident of "I need to send a chapter to my supervisor and I left my power cord in another city and my computer's battery's dead" of my honeymoon. (Nothing like panicking about your thesis on your honeymoon.)

Your mention of netstorage reminded me that I still have access to my old university's NetStorage site. I just logged on to be sure, and there are all my files (including my thesis). All their login stuff is based in your e-mail address and password, and they let alumni keep their e-mail accounts, meaning that I still can access all of their library content and their netstorage. Sweet.

Bonus points for the fact that I'm going to that university for this conference.