Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Achoo

Well, I'm home now. I'm trying to get back into the groove of working, but I went from non-stop conferencing to non-stop head cold. Just in time for the flight across Canada.

Word of advice: don't go in an airplane when your head's already feeling inflated from congestion. Decongestants will only slightly lessen the feeling of "my head's being continually crushed and inflated by the changing air pressure." Oh, and your seatmate will look at you like you carry Avian Flu or something, every time you blow your nose. Which happens often.

The best thing that happened all day (other than coming home to Christopher, who made me soup and chocolate chip cookies, and let me nap as much as I wanted to) was that Transport Canada loosened its liquids and gels restrictions, effective six hours before I flew. Not only can you bring along gels and lotions and stuff, provided that you declare them and they fit in a medium-sized Ziploc bag, but you can bring a water bottle on the plane, if you purchase it in your terminal after you've cleared security. You should have seen all of us at Calgary airport, clutching our water bottles and our coffees, secure in the knowledge that the WestJet people wouldn't confiscate them before we went on the plane. Beautiful. There was a festive mood at the airport. (It was considerably less festive at the Regina Airport, which is acknowledging the new gels in a Ziploc bag rule, but which still refuses to sell bottled water or coffee with a lid. I don't know why Regina would feel the need to be extra-cautious.)

Okay, I have to stop now. Blogging's wearing me out. And I'm having trouble spelling. I think due for another nap.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! (Chocolate chip cookies sound good, maybe I'll have to have a relapse to my head cold from last week.)

It boggles my mind the difference between airports. At Kelowna they put the scanner all over Madeline at age 3 months. I had to hold her up, arms out, and they went to town. And yet, at Toronto, a year later, she barely had to get out of her stroller. Apparently parents of toddlers look less like terrorists than parents of newborns. I thought the opposite would've been true!

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon! I suggest onion sandwiches..

Jen said...

When I am sick, I make a hamburger cassarole, and load in tons of onion and garlic. Maybe see if Chris will make that. ;)

Feel better soon.

Bronwyn said...

Um, do Ziploc baggies protect the airline against possible chemical warfare? If that is the case, maybe all hazmat outfits are made by Ziploc. That would be fun.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Dixie: Yeah, at the Regina airport they made a couple with a 2-week-old sleeping baby take the baby out of the stroller and be severely scanned. And I highly recommend chocolate chip cookies. So good.

Jen and nikkirae: my big sickness-fighter food is homemade broccoli and potato soup (so filling), with lots of garlic and cayenne pepper. It always helps.

May-b: apparently, it's to limit the amount of that kind of stuff (you can only carry it on if it fits in this little Ziploc bag) and to separate it out of your carry-on stuff in such a way as they can analyse it more carefully. Apparently.

Matt said...

Having been through the experience of flying while congested, I sympathize. Not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon.

Hopefully talk to you when I get back, early Octoberish.

Leslie M-B said...

I hope you're feeling better soon!

I've had congestion on planes, and it does suck, more for you than for other people. Then there was the one time I was a huge ball of gas, and I just had to let it out every once in awhile. The fact that I had a window seat didn't help my seatmates. And it was a cross-country flight. :(

I can look back and laugh now, but how mortifyingly embarrassing!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Hahahaha. That hadn't occurred to me that it would be worse to be gaseous on an airplane. Bad times had by all.