Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Glory of Living on the West Coast

I can procrastinate for a while, reading live-blogging of the Oscars and laughing at the pictures of dresses on the red carpet (I miss TV signal!), and now it's all over and it's only 8:30pm. I can get some more homework done.

A couple of observations about Oscars dresses:

1.) Was this a costume party, and was I not informed? Otherwise, why did Charlize Theron and Amy Adams come dressed as aliens? And Helena Bonham Carter as a trailer park bridesmaid? And Michelle Williams as a little girl playing dress-up with the most garishly-coloured clothing she could find, and wearing Jane Russell's lipstick-you-can-see-from-Mars?

2.) At first, I thought that the dresses with pockets in them (as Sandra Bullock and Maggie Gyllenhaal kept insisting on posing with their hands in their pockets) looked schlumpy. And then I realised that dresses with pockets is my life-long dream, and that Maggie Gyllenhaal just slouches too much.

Now, I swear I'm going to work. I have to work now. I really do.
Update on Monday Morning: now that IMDb is done adding all of its red carpet pictures, the links should be more stable. Therefore, I've added photographic evidence. I also noticed that Amy Adams has a pockets-dress as well. And I can't stop laughing about the fact that they had Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves present together. I saw the photo of them together, and was hit with these flashbacks of Grade 9. And then I realised how long ago Grade 9 was. And then I was depressed. And then I saw Charlize Theron's shoulder bow and I felt better.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, for serious: trailer park bridesmaid. Bueno. Best description ever. I was seriously wondering what was going on with that outfit.

Anonymous said...

Those pockets are trouble. Maggie G looks like she's inappropriately adjusting her underwear or something.

Bronwyn said...

I liked Michelle Williams' dress. Thought it looked good on her. What we couldn't figure out was why the other chick from Dawson's Creek was there and how she got in the front row???

Shannon said...

I agree about Michelle Williams. But what do I know? I didn't even know she was dating Heath Ledger let alone engaged (and pregnant with his baby did I hear? Or am I mixing her up with every other movie star)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

You are right, Shannon. Actually, she already had the baby. (Which is why she sure didn't look pregnant at the Oscars.)

Bronwyn said...

And they're married.

Shannon said...

Hah! I really know nothing. And I actually only saw her sitting down so that did not disuade my incorrect thought that she was pregnant.

But I've since looked at a picture of her standing and a: I don't like the dress as much and b: you are rigt, she sure didn't look pregnant.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

They're married? I checked IMDb and I couldn't find anything about that. Did they just announce that or something?