Thursday, February 23, 2006

You shall restrict your conversation to the weather and the condition of the roads.

It snowed today. It rained little ice-pellet-y snow, which melted upon hitting the ground, but it really surprised me. We haven't had anything that even resembled snow since December 1st, and I've come to expect things of Victoria weather. Suddenly, it's not enough that it's far warmer here than anywhere else in Canada. No, instead I'm complaining in my head that it's not sunny and warm today, or that there still aren't enough flowers blooming. Where's this city that people tell me looks like a "fairyland" when the trees are blooming? Where is it? Did I sign up for weather that hovers around the freezing point, so that I have to wear more than just a windjacket over my bunnyhug? Really, folks. If I wanted snow, I'd be in Saskatchewan. I've had several clear and sunny days, and now I want every day to be like that!

I've had these kinds of thoughts. I've become that brand of evil. Saskatchewan me has clear plans of beating me up. I now understand why, every time we have any kind of inclement weather, everyone tells us "It's never like this!" I used to think that everyone was trying to reassure us new folks that the weather's normally nice. Now I understand that everyone here becomes so attached to this idea of Beautiful Victoria that we take anything that detracts from the Myth of Beautiful Victoria as an affront.

In other news, after Ky and I spent hours walking to and from the ocean, my parents have discovered that I live six blocks from a large beach. I am apparently an incompetent map-reader.

In further news, whoever recognises the approximated quote in the title gets a virtual kiss on the head.

I am wearing: purple polo shirt, navy "performance fleece" zip-up bunnyhug, khaki pants and rubber-soled slippers. I'm another brand of evil as well -- head to toe in Old Navy. (Even the slippers.)

I last ate: home made cream of broccoli-potato-onion-mushroom soup and the best biscuits Chris has made to date. He accidentally put in too much milk, and so he then added only enough flour to make them not sticky, and that made them rise the best ever. I am spoiled rotten and unashamed. I also can hardly move now, because I ate too much. (It was all stuff I haven't had lately, and I got my allergy shot today, and so I managed to eat two bowls of the thick soup.)

I am realising: that Chris and I do not know our city as well as my parents do, now that they've spent the past week driving around and looking at maps. They've taken so many cool pictures of places we've never known about.

Song stuck in my head: the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme. It's been stuck in my head for days now, and I have no idea why. (Derek? Are you in my head?)

10 comments:

Meg Persson said...

Ooh, I so know where that's from. This is gonna bug me...

LynnieC said...

Sense and Sensibility.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Lynnie gets a kiss on the head! Mwah!

Anonymous said...

No wonder I had no clue. I have seen that movie twice and not since I was in university.

arimich said...

I knew it! I love the way you say things sometimes, Mary. And Saskatchewan me wants to beat me up sometimes too! I'm such a baby here. And I love the word "bunnyhug."

Anonymous said...

I think bunnyhug has to be the most pleasant word of all time. It is like "I'm not wearing a hooded sweatshirt, I'm getting hugs from bunnies"

LynnieC said...

Hurray for virtual kisses on the head!! You would not believe how quickly I was typing when I wrote that. I was worried that someone else was typing at the same moment and would win the kiss from Maid Maryanne.
Also, Janny needs to watch Sense and Sensibility again. SO one of the greatest movies of all time.

Shannon said...

I was so excited when I saw that Maryanne was auctioning off her kisses for trivial knowledge again. Of course I was sad that there was already 7 comments and it was certain I was not quick enough to win the kiss but that's okay. Lyn won fair and square.

It reminds me of how you and Chris would only kiss each other at your wedding after answering trivia. Of course Bronwyn and I got to kiss Chris even without answering a question. It's a little thing called luck - when preparation (and we were so prepared to kiss Chris) meets opportunity (Maryanne in washroom and silly person starting tinkling of glasses not noticing her absence).

Anonymous said...

Gah! Curse my resolve to cut down on my blogging habits. That's the only thing that kept me from winning that virtual kiss on the head.

Jen said...

Why cut down on blogging??