Monday, February 20, 2006

Confession of the Day

I have the coldest (non-prosthetic) feet on the planet. This is why you may have noticed that I'm pretty much perpetually wearing slippers (especially the rubber-soled ones that Meg gave me). (And you know that because, even though you can't see me, I compulsively tell you all what I'm wearing.) (Pyjamas and slippers.) (Yes, it's 1:19pm.)

Chris is often freaked out by how cold my feet are. Mostly he's freaked out when we're falling asleep and my feet feel cold and so I decide to tuck them under his legs. My feet are even cold in the summertime. The only times when they're not cold is when they're ridiculously over-heated, so much so that they're red and kind of swollen. That happens whenever I have a shower, and when I wear shoes and socks in the summer.

The reason for all this? My feet have terrible circulation. This is the result of bad frostbite that I got while cross-country skiing up North when I was a teenager. My aunt, one of the many nurses in my family (okay, we only have two), brought the circulation back, but warned me that I probably would get frostbite more easily after that. And, boy was she right! Last winter, I got frostbite on my feet while I was driving (a 10 minute drive) and wearing winter boots. That was one of the many moments, last winter, when I thought to myself: "Next winter, I'll be in Victoria. There will be no winter there. It will be sunny and there will be flowers and I won't get frostbite anymore."

And so, there you have the reason why I always wear slippers, and one of the reasons why I'm not entirely missing the prairies.

2 comments:

krisluvswool said...

Mine are SOOOOO bad! My mommy bought me some really awesome socks, though, that do an amazing job of keeping my feet warm-- they're fuzzy with stripes.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Kristiface, YOUR feet get cold, living down in that undisclosed southern location that I will not mention on this blog? (Or USLTIWNMOTB?) Wow. Somehow, we all have this perception of it always being hot there.