Saturday, November 19, 2005

Box full of knick-knacks

Today Chris started into his four day weekend project of giving this whole house a "proper" cleaning. He started with our bedroom today -- sorting, dusting, hanging up pictures. After he was done his part of the cleaning, I went through some of the boxes that we had left unpacked in one of our closets.

It was the strangest thing going through those boxes. Here were several boxes full of things that I chose not to get rid of, back in Regina. Things that I beleived were so necessary that I packed them up and brought them across the country. And now they've spent four months in a closet, unmissed.

It's not that everything I found in there was useless or actually unmissed. I found some good towels and a pair of pyjama pants my sister recently gave me, which were apparently acting as cushioning for some breakables. I also found some good decorations for our room (I was so excited to discover that my dried roses, crepe dolls and that glass piano Matt gave me, all survived the trip), my nail polish, Batgirl Barbie and other things that are still exciting.

However, the majority of what I unpacked got repacked and put back into a couple of boxes. For starters, I can't have a lot of decorations cluttering our room, because they gather dust (and are harder to dust), which is bad for my allergies. But mostly they didn't seem so important anymore. I'm not ready to give them away, and there are some things in there that I wouldn't want to give away (such as my old trophies and plaques), and yet they aren't as much part of my life now.

It's funny how some things have such a hold over you -- "Of course I couldn't get rid of that!" -- until they're out of sight for a while.

3 comments:

Meg Persson said...

Ha! I TOLD you I didn't have your nailpolish.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I only found one bottle of it, so far.

Life of Turner said...

It's all about the storage tubs...pack it all away, label it well, and forget about it until you need to check something or feel nostalgic. I speak from experience.

Derek out.