Sunday, June 14, 2009

Late-night cake baking

It's 11:00 on a Sunday evening, and yet my house is still buzzing with activity. The washer and dryer have been going for most of the day. Christina and I just went over her plans for her MA thesis defense tomorrow morning, and now she's blow-drying her hair and getting all the last details ready. Chris is in our room, finishing up unit review hand-outs for his students, in anticipation of their approaching final exams. And I'm sitting here on the couch, getting a little sleepy, but waiting for a white chocolate cake to finish baking. It's going to be Christina's "Hooray! You're finished your Master's Degree!" cake; when I posted my picture of Meg's birthday cake, Christina asked if I'd make the very same cake for her thesis defense, and now I'm living up to my promise. (Well, the only difference is that this time I'm making my own frosting.)

I think that's a pretty good illustration of all the busyness of the past week or so. I can't believe that it's been less than a week since all the bloggers and conference-goers left town. The time since then has been a whirlwind of German novels and preparations for Christina's defense. It's been pleasant. (And everyone wish Christina luck! She defends tomorrow morning.)

(Remind me to post pictures of the placemats, cloth napkins and pot holder that Christina sewed us as a thank you present. I have so many talented friends, and I'm continually reaping the benefits. I'm useless with sewing, knitting, crocheting, and all that. But I do bake cakes pretty well.)

1 comment:

The History Enthusiast said...

Good luck Christina!

And, Maryanne, that cake you linked to looks delish!