Saturday, December 13, 2008

Adventures in Domesticity

We have our church's Christmas dinner this afternoon, and I'm roasting one of the turkeys for it! I'm still experimenting with ways of roasting turkeys, and so here's the method I'm trying this time: the brine and the timing from Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey, with Elise from Simply Recipe's method of roasting the turkey breast-side-down (it turns out juicier that way), and then I'm altering both of those recipes by stuffing the turkey with lemons and onions. I've only done the lemons in chicken before this, and so I'll tell you how it turns out. (I also have never done a turkey in this tiny oven before, either, and so that's also my big challenge!)

So far, I've had my house fill with smoke, because Alton Brown has you start the turkey at 500F for half an hour, after you've coated the turkey in canola oil. (I only did it for 20 minutes, because my turkey's only 10 lbs. -- I get to do the smaller turkey because I have the smaller oven.) But it looks gorgeous!

Update: It worked wonderfully! People loved it! It got the stamp of approval from the old lady who has always made the turkey for the Christmas dinner! I selfishly kept all the leftovers, so that I can make turkey pot pie tomorrow for dinner.

No comments: