Saturday, March 29, 2008

How I studied this evening

We participated in this. (It turns out that my parents did too! Cute!) Chris was the one who insisted on it, because he'd been hearing about it on CBC Radio today and he wanted to see what would happen. I'm pretty much in for anything that involves lighting candles and pretending there's a power outage.

It turned out that I wasted the first half of the hour running around lighting candles (and finding more appliances to unplug) and playing with the camera, trying to play with the neat effects of the candlelight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We did it too! It was awesome. Back when I was 19, I went out and spent about $100 on candle related paraphernalia. Sooooo, in power outages or on nights like last night (or when setting the conjugal mood), we are so totally set.

jo(e) said...

I just love the light in the photo.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Jo(e): I am so crazy about candlelight. I just put together a little set on Flickr with a few more pictures I took, here.

Anonymous said...

Power outages and candles are great, however they took away from the aspect of "earth-hour" however. First of all, I did not participate, not because I do not agree with the concept of being environmentally responsible but because I do not think asking people to participate in a single showey exercise is the proper way to do it. The energy required to originally manufacture the candles was more than the energy required to light the rooms, they lit. To have people truly cut back on their energy requirements, you must give them practical alternatives to sitting in the dark. If a person enjoys candle lit evenings then, earthday was a great success as people, such as yourself, had a wonderful time with your candles and lanterns but really did not truly give up the use of energy for one hour as earthhour intended. Most probably still used appliances such as cameras and laptops that operate on batteries which just transferred the energy drain on the electrical system to a different time. I really would like to see the use of energy alternatives mandated. energy ideas like having all residences have to have solar panels for heating water for showers.

Arlen