Monday, March 31, 2008

Hope I can sleep tonight

One day during my MA coursework, my supervisor (kindly Dr. B) asked me why I was so sleepy. I told him that I had had trouble sleeping, because at bedtime I had been reading a book for research, which had ended up going into detail about how Magda Goebbels poisoned her children in Hitler's bunker. The book had included some family pictures, and the combination of it all was enough to keep me awake that night.

When I saw him next, Dr. B handed me a book of poetry. He told me: "This is for reading before you go to sleep. Leave that other reading for the daytime."

I am thinking of Dr. B's advice tonight, as I am up too late reviewing too many books about the Holocaust, before my review meeting with my twentieth century Europe professor tomorrow. I apparently didn't learn my lesson back then.

No comments: