Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The jumbly thoughts in the head of an exam grader

  • Is there some sort of conspiracy going on with my students this year, in which every time they forget the first name of a historical figure they just call him "William"? In previous years I think my students gave their historical figures the first name of "John." This year it's all "William," all the time.
  • I wonder if it's the result of something in popular culture, like when all the history essays I marked during the escalation of the war in Iraq over-used the CNN word "embedded," and started bandying about the phrase "coalition forces" instead of "the Allies." (Trivia: a significant percentage of students writing about any historical war will refer to the perceived "good guys" as "the Allies".)
  • You know, I miss ANTM's Victoria. I wish she hadn't gone crazy on Twiggy and made Tyra scared that she'd throw a shoe at her, because Victoria would have laughed out loud this week when Jay announced (waaaay too exuberantly) that the girls were going to pose as "High Fashion GARGOYLES!"
  • I wonder if my usage of red pen (but it was the first pen I could find!) is going to give my students low self esteem.
  • Can I manage to eat a bowl of cheddar-flavoured popcorn without getting orange fingerprints on these papers?
  • I wish shoemakers still made square-toed dress shoes. I think my wide-toed feet will die dead if the narrow-toed shoe hegemony continues any longer.
  • Note to self: get more people watching Chuck so that it isn't cruelly taken away from me mid-season.
  • Are those cobwebs in the dining room window?
  • Did I remember to eat lunch today?
  • Are other people as distractable as I am when they're grading?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on both the square-toed shoes and the distractability fronts!

Anonymous said...

victoria sort of annoyed me but I would have loved to see her reaction to the whole gargoyle thing. gosh, I loved that. I mean, what is that supposed to *mean* exactly? I don't know but it's pure campy genius.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

I love how they turned everyone into clones of Jaslene. Because apparently Jaslene = "High Fashion Gargoyle."

Anonymous said...

Re: first and second bullets. I like you theory and I think this year's unknown firstnamer is our dear Prince William ! He's everywhere!

And grading IS necessary an exercice of distraction. It's sometimes better for your students...

The History Enthusiast said...

I love Chuck! Is there a rumor that it will be canceled? I hope not, because I think it is tres fab.

Anonymous said...

I <3 Chuck too!

Anonymous said...

I <3 Chuck too!