Saturday, January 13, 2007

Story 5: Priorities

When I was young, my aunt told me about a trick that she would sometimes use when she was a child: if she knew that Grandma was going to want her to wash the dishes, she would start practising the piano. Grandma would never stop anyone from playing the piano and make them do housework. (I may have tried that trick a few times myself.)

Grandma took housework very seriously (never mind the tiny handprints on the mirror and the Depression-era mentality that dictated that she hoard such things as jars and jars full of buttons). She cooked huge meals and asserted that pie forks should only be used for pies (or pie-related desserts). She ran a pretty tight ship.

However, Grandma also believed that certain things were just more important than housework. Such as music.

No comments: