Friday, January 12, 2007

Remembering Grandma


Kissing Grandma C
Originally uploaded by Maryanne, Queen of Procrastination.

Today, I'm easing up and taking care of myself. I've drunk a lot of tea. I've done that "hold your head over a bowl of steaming water, covering your head with a towel" trick for my sinuses. I'm using my SAD lamp, which is doing wonders for me. I've e-mailed my supervisor and told him not to expect any productive work out of me for the next few days.

And now I've been remembering Grandma. I went through my wedding photos and found the really cute one of Chris and me kissing her. I think that, for the next few days, I'm going to start collecting stories about her here. Both silly and serious. Because she would want it that way. Grandma told me as many stories as possible, both because she was Irish and loved telling a good story (and would sometimes confess that it was really difficult to keep to the exact facts), and because she was so proud that her granddaughter is a historian.

We even used to make a game of her good memory and her love of story-telling. We kids would take turns picking either a year or an age. Then she would tell us everything that happened that year. The year she got a red coat. The year she saw the King and Queen. The year she started teaching. The year she started Bible College. The year she had a nervous breakdown. The year she thought she was going to move to India, but met Grandpa instead.

And I'll try to relate a few of those stories.

3 comments:

Pink Cupcake said...

What a lovely idea for remembering your grandmother.

I love this photo by the way, I remember thinking what a happy photo it was the first time I saw you just after your wedding.

Glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself. Hugs.

Pink Cupcake said...

I meant 'saw it', not 'saw you' obviously! Not really awake today!

Anonymous said...

Aw! Such an adorable pictures... am loving the stories so far. This sounds like such a good way to deal with your grief, and I hope remembering is helping to bring some happiness along with the pain.