Friday, December 22, 2006

Allowed to stop and breathe

Today, I handed in the final essay. All that's left is the bibliography, and I ended up getting that extension on it after all. The original plan was to finish the annotated bibliography this week, and e-mail it to my supervisor by the New Year's weekend, thus keeping us from having to get an extension on my grade. However, neither my supervisor nor I really stopped and realised that this assignment needs to be done in a library and that today's December 22nd. The day that both my library here, and the UofR library close after a half-day and don't open again until New Year's Day. I realised that when I woke up this morning, and sent a quick e-mail to my supervisor, notifying him that there's no way I can get this work done by next week.

And so now I have until a few days after I get back here to finish this bibliography. Chris and I have made plans to spend a couple of mornings at the UofR library, when we're in Regina after New Year's Day.

As we were driving home from the university and chiropractor this morning, I was trying to wrap my mind around how I was going to spend my day, considering the fact that there was no way I'd manage to get to the library before it closed.

Chris reminded me, "You know, you're allowed to stop. Take the day off. Have a Christmas break."

Oh, right. I can do exactly what I've been wanting to do all along. Except that I've gotten myself in the habit of sitting and staring at this computer. I've gotten into the habit of feeling perpetually stressed and ignoring the mess around me.

I hereby have permission to give myself a break. I'm on Christmas holidays until after New Year's Day. This afternoon, I think I'm going to make my house look nice for Christmas. Maybe do a bit of baking, if I'm feeling ambitious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Christopher gives good advice! I'm so glad you get a well-deserved Christmas break, Mary. Happy Christmas.

grrr. Again with the not letting me post as me. This is Ari with an "I love you!" Christmas message. :)