Thursday, October 05, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I ended up telling my friend that I wasn't coming to the knitting party. I told her that I don't do any kind of needlework, and that I tend to be really incompetent at it. But all of your suggestions got me thinking about the kinds of crafts I like to do.

I jokingly said to Christopher, "Let's do Thanksgiving crafts!"*

That's when he brought out his stack of construction paper. (Signs that you're married to a teacher.) First, he tried to make a pumpkin, but he didn't have orange paper, and so he made an apple instead. I made the leafy stem for it.


And then I got the big idea that I wanted to make a hand turkey. I even got out the tempra paints. (Those are mine.)


(I think I'm going to put it on the fridge.)

And that got me wanting to do more painting, and so I took all the clay pots that Chris just emptied so that we can grow herbs in our window...


(Any suggestions for what I can add to the plain blue one in the middle? I'm kind of stuck right now. And clouds didn't look nice, as I had thought they would. And I don't have sponges. The weird camoflauge thing I did with the pink one was done with paper towels and a dry brush.)

Chris found a big set of plasticene that he bought as some garage sale (never been opened), and he got modelling, autumnal-style:


I think we can all agree that Chris is the better artist of the household.


* Canadian Thanksgiving is this weekend. We feel the need to celebrate it on a different weekend from the Americans.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you put your age on your hand turkey. Good stuff.

Anonymous said...

Chris's plasticenery and your painted pottery are lovely.

Anonymous said...

Oooh, crafts! They're beautiful!

For the plain blue pot, you could get some very thin rice paper napkins from Chinatown, dip them in a white-glue-and-water mix, and then spread them on the pot. I have a couple of pots a friend did for me this way and they are gawjus. You can also get a kind of cool mottled look dipping a crumpled newspaper into paint and stippling the newspaper over the surfave of the pot.

Anonymous said...

Um. surfave=surface.

Teacher Lady said...

That hand turkey was truly awesome. I miss my sister when she's gone.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Sister, I knew you'd love the hand turkey. Classic times.

Leslie M-B said...

Great crafts! If I suggested to Mr. Trillwing that we do crafts together, his head would probably explode, so I'm a bit jealous of your joint craftiness.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Paint a cockatoo on it!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Haha. I should've expected that answer from Styley. I wish I knew how to paint a picture of a cockatoo without making it look frightening.

Becca said...

Mary,
you and your hubbie make me smile... so much fun in that house!
Happy belated Thanksgiving!
I love a Mary and a Chris!
-Becca

trisha said...

lol that turkey picture with your age on it seriously made me laugh! good thing i'm home alone...