Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Tuesday's Gone

I survived yesterday. I'm so proud of myself.

For those of you who've been wondering where I've been lately, and why I've been so productive, this is what I had to have done by yesterday: a.) I had to have thirty papers marked; b.) I had to prepare to lead a seminar in the morning, and c.) I had to give a presentation in the afternoon. As I indicated on Monday night, I didn't finish marking until bedtime, and there was no way I was going to be able to stay up late (a bit of this cold still lingers). That meant that I had to get up early enough to read the seminar reading and prepare discussion questions before the 10:30am seminar. (And write the presentation over lunch.) In the morning I was making fairly good time, when I got an e-mail from the professor of the seminar class. He wanted to know if we could meet an hour before the class. Did I mention that I checked my e-mail at 9:00am? Half an hour before the professor wanted to meet with me? Did I mention that I was at home, was still doing the class reading, and he had also sent me a lesson plan that I needed to go over, in that same e-mail?

I replied to the e-mail, and said that wouldn't be possible. We could meet after class, if he needed to discuss anything. I got to school in time for the seminar.

The seminar went fine; leading discussion was a little slow-going, but there were some enthusiastic students who essentially led the class for me. After that I had enough time to write my presentation over lunch, and when I gave the presentation, I stayed within my allotted time. After the class was over, the whole group of us hung out for a couple of hours.

I went at top speed for eleven hours yesterday. But now, all I have left are the three essays. Nothing more! Yes, I will have three weeks to write three essays, and that will be crazy, but I'm not doing class readings!

And, on top of that, someone from my class burnt me a copy of the second season of Battlestar Galactica. As I was in no place to do any more homework last night, Chris and I watched the first two episodes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

...with the wind. Ah, Lynyrd Skynyrd (covered by Metallica), you do good work.

Oh, and good job Maryanne! You just distracted me with your post title.

Jen said...

3 weeks for 3 essays? That's nothing at all. You can handle that.

P.S. I have 5 days for 3 essays.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

You're welcome, Matt. I was actually thinking about "Tuesday's Dead" by Cat Stevens, but then got it mixed up with Skynyrd.

And Jen? Are two of your essays 30 pages long? And due within three days of each other? Three essays in three weeks (the other one is only 15 pages and I'm going to write it quickly this week, so that I can get working on the other two) is a lot, when you're writing 75 pages. That's 3/4 the length of my entire thesis, and I had a year to write it. I'm not used to writing so quickly anymore!

Anonymous said...

Gross, I don't miss school.

LynnieC said...

Now THAT day is one that I do not envy and one I would not trade for one of my days. Except for the fact that I'm now working at 7 in the morning (there's a 7 in the morning?) my non-school life is so much more fun than school ever was. I got to talk to a Scottish person and an Irish person on Tuesday. What fun!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Lynniec, you are aware that you have the coolest job I've ever heard of. Right? Madame, "I'm using my history degree, working for a film production company." You have the job that we all said would be cool if it existed!

Limon de Campo said...

You are working machine!

Is BSG worth watching? It's my husband's favorite show ever, but I've never seen it. Should I? Keep in mind that I generally hate sci fi in any form unless it's really well-done (like a good Margaret Atwood novel).

Queen of West Procrastination said...

New BSG is very much worth watching. But you'd have to start with the miniseries to get the full impact of everything. Otherwise you'd be all "Cylons? Killer robots that look like us?"