Saturday, March 18, 2006

Saturday Morning Smoothie Blogging

(How many other people do you know who blog their breakfasts?)

This morning, both Chris and I awoke just after 7:00. While it was probably the early night (recovering from the long Friday) that helped, I think it was also the sun pouring through our window.

I had to move to the West Coast to learn not to take the sun for granted. When I lived in Saskatchewan, I got sunshine all the time. I even wore my sunglasses when it was cloudy, because it was still so bright outside. But it took three straight months of rain to realise how much I love the sun. I have trouble being sad when the sun is shining. I smile whenever I see the sun take an everyday object in my home and makes it glow. (Or yesterday in class, when the sunlight behind a guy made his ears glow red. It truly was the best class ever. Especially because we had the windows open and some kid was playing the recorder outside.)

With all the happy sunshine, we didn't particularly feel like making waffles this morning. We made strawberry-banana-kiwi smoothies instead. It helped that Chris went grocery shopping yesterday, and bought a heap of fruit. We put two bananas and a whole pound of strawberries (but only one kiwi, because its flavour can be so overpowering), along with a small container of strawberry yogurt, into it. And that was a spectacular way to start off our early morning sunny Saturday.

(P.S. Speaking of kiwis: A friend of mine is allergic to kiwis. They instantly give her hives in her mouth. I expressed how sad it would be to not be allowed to eat kiwis, and her reply was, "It makes no difference to me, because to me kiwis taste like itchy." And I remember, every time I eat a kiwi, that for some people kiwis taste like itchy.)

3 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Best milkshake I ever had was made of frozen kiwi. We accidentally left a bag of kiwis in the car overnight and they froze solid. We needed to do something with them, so we made milkshakes. YUM. They are AMAZING frozen.

Limon de Campo said...

I'm jealous of the sunlight. I live in one of the sunniest places in the US, yet it has snowed/rained/sleeted for the past three weeks, and I am SICK of it.

jo(e) said...

A smoothie for breakfast sounds just perfect ....