Thursday, October 27, 2005

Grantscrafting

Before I go to bed tonight, I have to send the lady in charge of consulting about grants here (I don't know her exact title) a draft of my program of study, for my SSHRC app. I'm writing it in reference to last year's application, as well as to all the tips she gave us at the workshop I went to earlier this month. Since everything's so last minute with me, she doesn't have time to meet with me, but I can e-mail her an attachment of it, and she's e-mail me back comments tomorrow. That's awesome, because then I can revise and send it on to the profs who are doing my letters of appraisal.

At the workshop, she referred to the art of "grantscrafting." She emphasised that writing grant applications is an art, and a learned skill. I'm actually enjoying the writing, after she gave us instructions, because I'm required to be bright, energetic and engaging: no stuffy jargon here! I love that, because I'm terrible at the stuffy jargon. In fact, this writing feels more like the writing I do here (except that I'm proofreading carefully). How can I sell my ideas clearly, and in such a way as they understand by looking at this quickly? And so: bullet points. And bolding important facts. We'll see what I do with this puppy tonight.

(By the way: this is the weirdest writing marathon ever. I'm working in bed, beside a quasi-snoring Christopher.)

Edited at add at 1:17: Finished and submitted! And not a moment too soon: that husband of mine's been sleeping pretty fitfully (lots of tossing and turning, and talking in his sleep, more so than usual), with me working here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That may be caused by your screams of delight at being finished.