Thursday, June 23, 2005

23 Days

In a little more than three weeks, I'll be married. And there is so much to do before that, and after that. I still need to track down all the licensing paperwork, not to mention the bazillion name-change forms I'll have to fill out (especially for all of my cards, but especially all the University stuff). Yup, I'm changing my name. I feel like I'm going against the academic current; I've been published under my maiden name and everything. But: a.) marrying into a fabulous new last name, which will down way better with "Dr." in front of it; b.) I guess I'm kind of traditional, and deep down I think I'll feel more married having his name. But, this way, I'll have two of my three degrees under the same name, because I'll do all the name-change stuff with the UofR right away. (But, now that I'll be married when I defend, my school's rules state that my husband cannot attend the defense. Any friends can attend, and if Chris and I were just engaged that would be okay, but "family members" cannot attend, which the school defines quite traditionally. Not that I want anyone to attend, other than the required committee members and the examiner.)

Twenty-three days. And for eight of them I'll be at Camp. I have:
Next week - in which I'll have a grad that I'm performing at (orchestra) plus one evening of practice, a shower thrown by Meg, and please please please Dr. B tell me I'll have the draft back by then. Oh, and I'll also be packing, because I ought to have most of the house packed before Camp.
The Week of Camp - I'll be gone from the Saturday of one week to the Sunday of the next.
The week leading up to the wedding - I plan to be crazy during that week, by the way.

Excuse me while I go lay in the middle of the floor, in an attempt to wrap my mind around all the imminent life changes.

2 comments:

Caffeinated Canuck said...

In three weeks from now...

...I will be wearing a suit.



I certainly hope you're pleased with yourself.

*grumbles*

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Oh, you can't complain too much, because you don't have to wear shoes. I made the same promise to Ky, but she's torn between her love of being barefoot, and the potential of cute shoes.