Thursday, May 05, 2005

Not Very Clever

I'm going to do the unprecedented and go to bed soon. I can't remember that last time I went to bed before 11:00 pm, when I wasn't sick. I am definitely nocturnal by nature.

You know, after last week's musings on the effects of having a toddler entering my home space, I've decided that it's far preferable to leaving this house to watch a toddler. This week I've been getting up at 6:00 am (after having my alarm clock go off since 5:30) and then aim to be at Brandy's by 7:30. I'm not home until supper time (she's home between 4 and 4:30, but then we have to talk over the day's happenings and everything), and then either have plans (usually wedding-related) in the evening or I'm too exhausted to do housework. My poor house.

Sorry for all the complaining. Things aren't that bad really; I just spend too much time being tired and/or anxious, which distracts me from the fact that I've had some very pleasant days, lately. Wee Girlie and I had a lovely day today -- we were so busy that we didn't end up watching any TV. We went walking, and lay in the grass looking at the very blue sky. (Topic of conversation: the sky is blue, and so is Auntie's jacket. We also followed birds and examined dandilions.) When we got home from our walk, WG disappeared for a minute, and came back with a dressy scarf wrapped around her head, such as Grace Kelly would have worn with sunglasses, and with a little pink hat for me to wear. "Dance, Auntie!" she demanded. And so I turned on the kids' music audio channel on their TV and we danced around the living room.

It was a good day. She is definitely good for me; she forces me not to take tiny beautiful things for granted, because she's at the age where everything is new and exciting.

And now it's bedtime.

I am wearing: Delaware shirt, baggy pants, pigtails (I slept in and didn't shower today), and bare feet.

Song stuck in my head: the German song "Chor der Gefangenen," which is one of the songs that my orchestra is accompanying in the upcoming Sangerfest. (I had orchestra practice tonight. Did I ever mention that I play the flute?)

Most relaxing moment of the day: When WG was finally napping, I made myself a Chai and read Christy by Catherine Marshall. (The Tolkein and the Great War book was too closely related to my field to be relaxing, right now.) It was quiet and wonderful, as I lay on the couch and lightly napped, pretending to read.

No comments: